I’m a fan of all kinds of chicken recipes because chicken is relatively inexpensive, can be prepared in a lot of ways, and if you use good ingredients, is a worthy addition to your diet.
That brings me to this recipe for Chicken Paprika w/Mushrooms and Onions. There are only about 160 calories in a 4 ounce serving and that includes the mushroom and onion sauce because it’s made with just 1/2 a tablespoon of butter. Remember that once mushrooms and onions get heated, they release their own juices, which makes a huge amount of butter or oil unnecessary.
First, prepare the chicken by sprinkling the seasonings on it in preparation for browning.
Rub some butter on the pan and heat it up. You can see here how little butter you need.
It took me about 4 or 5 minutes of browning on each side. After I browned the chicken and put it back on the baking sheet, I added the rest of the butter, heated it up slightly, and threw in the mushrooms and onions.
Once they cooked, I put them on top of the chicken which had been cooking for awhile.
This is what it looked like when it was ready to be served – really tasty and smelled so good.
I have to confess that some of my kids pushed the mushrooms and onions off the chicken before they ate the chicken, but one of them tried the mushrooms and declared they were pretty tasty. That was a huge deal because he had always turned up his nose at mushrooms before – even when pulling them out of the grocery store bags. He didn’t even want to look at them or touch them.
Here’s the recipe in an easy-to-read format:
Healthy Chicken Paprika with Mushroom and Onion Sauce
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cook time||1 hour|
|Total time||1 hour, 15 minutes|
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 ounces each)
- 1 Medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 0.5 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- dash black pepper
- 0.5 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove minced garlic
- dash salt to taste
|1. Slice the mushrooms and onions, set aside
2. Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high and rub a bit of the butter on the skillet to coat the bottom.
3. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with the seasoning.
4. Place the seasoned chicken in the hot pan, browning them lightly – turn just once.
5. Remove chicken from skillet and place on a baking sheet.
6. Put the chicken in the preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, add the rest of the butter to the skillet. When it is sizzling, toss the mushrooms and onions in.
7. Cook the mushrooms and onions until the mushrooms are softened and the onions are almost translucent. About 10 minutes or so.
8. Carefully remove the pan with the chicken from the oven and spoon the mushroom and onion sauce over the chicken breasts.
9. Return the chicken to the oven and continue cooking until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170 to 180.
Nutrition: Each chicken breast has about 160 calories and 25 grams of protein.
I hope you will try this dish – it’s easy, fast, and good for you and your family.