Pasta, greens and poached egg are one of my favorite go-to, no-fuss weeknight dinners in the colder months when I’m hungry and need dinner on the table quick. I always have eggs, pasta and some type of greens on hand, for this I used Swiss chard but spinach, escarole or kale would also work.
The poached egg creates a luscious sauce when mixed together, which is even better topped with fresh grated parmesan cheese!
Fettuccini with Winter Greens and Poached Egg
- 4 ounces egg fettuccini
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 sprig Fresh thyme, leaves stripped from stem
- 4 ounces (4 cups) chopped winter greens, such as chard, escarole, spinach or kale
- 2 large eggs
- fresh shaved Parmesan, optional for serving
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, to poach the eggs fill a large deep skillet with about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Crack the eggs into individual bowls. Gently slide eggs one at a time into the simmering water. Using a spoon, gently nudge the egg whites toward center of yolk. Cook for 2-3 minutes for a semi-soft yolk or 3-4 minutes for a firmer-set yolk. With a slotted spoon or spatula, remove eggs one at a time and drain on paper towels.
- While the pasta and eggs cook, in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the oil, red onion, season with 1/8th tsp salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to caramelize, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the greens and 3/4 cup of the reserved cooking water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the greens turn bright green and are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the pasta and cook until heated through, 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pasta to two individual bowls, about 1 1/2 cups each. Top with the egg and serve with grated cheese and fresh cracked pepper, if desired.
Yield: 2 Servings, Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups + egg
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 8
- Points +: 8
- Calories: 342
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 186mg
- Sodium: 365mg
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 16g