One recipe request I’ve gotten time and time again is for kid-friendly quinoa recipes. And Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Casserole is JUST that.
I love that you guys love quinoa as much as I do, seriously. As much as we love quinoa, I’ve found that everyone in our family enjoys quinoa more when it’s part of a dish, than when it’s just served on the side of a meal. It’s why I keep making quinoa as the base of casserole-type meals. Our other favorites are: Pizza Quinoa Casserole and One-Pot Mexican Quinoa. These quinoa casseroles are filling, easy to throw together, and typically enjoyed by the whole family. (And for the record, NOT easy to photograph.)
I want to explain what I mean by kid-friendly. When I use the term kid-friendly, I don’t mean kid-food. I don’t really do kid food. Sure, we have quesadillas, and mac & cheese, but most of the time I serve Demi the same food that we eat – the same meals that we eat.
Whenever people ask me if there is anything that Demi doesn’t like, I don’t really have an answer. Mostly because I assume that she likes everything! It doesn’t mean that she never refuses food – she does. On a regular basis. But when she does? I don’t discount it as something she’ll never eat again. It’s just that she didn’t eat it for that meal.
It’s completely natural for kids to refuse foods and go through picky phases. (Demi’s still very young, I’m fully aware that she’ll get pickier as she gets a little older.) But, before you really say that your child doesn’t like a food, you really have to give it 10-15 times. It’s a lot and a little overwhelming, I get it. Just don’t stop offering foods your kids have refused in the past!
All this is to say, that when I give the kid-friendly approval, it means that sometimes it’s approved, sometimes it’s not. 😉
This chicken broccoli quinoa casserole is divine, hearty, and satisfying. I love that it covers all of the nutritional bases that I look for: whole-grain, protein, veggies, flavor!
I think your family will love it, even if they don’t love it each and every time you serve it. 🙂
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 lbs. chicken thigh meat
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 12 oz bag of broccoli florets
- 11 oz condensed cream of mushroom soup (2.5 cups)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces and season with salt and pepper. (Using a kitchen shears makes this process fast and easy!)
- Heat large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add oil to pan and when hot, add chicken pieces.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3-4 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add quinoa to pan, and cook another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in broccoli, soup, sour cream, and water.
- Pour into medium baking dish, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes and serve.
I used a 9″ x 7″ baking dish.