Breakfast tacos with chipotle sour cream are full of flavor and perfect any time of the day or night!
Tacos in Southern California are kind of a way of life. We love our street tacos, we love our hipster tacos, we love tacos with strange (aka brain, stomach, etc.) meats and we love tacos at anytime of the day – breakfast included!
This recipe was originally posted in February of 2014, but fast-forward three years later and I thought it was time to revisit the recipe, the photographs, and the words that go along with it! Back in 2014, we were on our way to Sayulita, Mexico for a vacation with my family, and Mexican food was on my mind! Wait, it always is…
These breakfast tacos are full of good stuff. I’m talking black beans, scrambled eggs, caramelized onions, fresh avocado slices, and, CHIPOTLE SOUR CREAM! It’s pretty much the breakfast dreams are made of. And if you like eggs throughout the day (who doesn’t?), they would make a killer lunch or easy dinner.
While I love all of the components of these tacos, it’s the chipotle sour cream that I want to put on anything and everything. It takes two-minutes to make so don’t even think about leaving it off!
Canned chipotles in adobo are packed with so much amazing, smoky flavor, and every time I use them, I wonder why I don’t use them more often. Everything You Can Do With a Can of Chipotles in Adobo has some good ideas on how you can use the rest of your peppers (you’ll have extra!), but if you are a regular chipotle-user, I’d love to know what you do with them. Please enlighten me!
I love hearing from you guys when you make recipes you’ve found here so let me know what you think, or tag me on social media (@anutritionisteats or #anutritionisteats) so I can see your creations!
Breakfast Tacos with Chipotle Sour Cream
Author: Emily Dingmann
Serves: 4 servings
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1-2 peppers from a can of chipotles in adobo
- ½ onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
- ½ Tablespoon butter
- 6 eggs
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1-15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- optional: avocado slices, cilantro
- Finely chop the chipotle peppers (you can basically mash them together) and mix into sour cream.
- Add some of the sauce from the can as desired and depending on how spicy you want it.
- Heat medium sauté pan over medium heat and add butter and onions to pan.
- Cook for about 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned and caramelized.
- Set aside and wipe out pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooking spray or butter to pan and scramble eggs over medium-low heat.
- Heat tortillas as desired (in microwave or over gas burner on stove).
- Assemble tacos: layer beans, eggs, onions, and sour cream on tortillas. Top with avocado and cilantro if desired.
Calories: 380 Fat: 13 grams Carbohydrates: 46 grams Fiber: 10 grams Protein: 20 grams