I’ve mentioned a couple times how Mr. Science is the cook in our house… and that he is doing field work for pretty much the entire summer (he’s out of the city five days each week).
I can’t be the only person out there who has a spouse who is gone for part of the summer—or the only person out there who doesn’t currently have much of an interest in cooking!—so I thought today I’d give you an update on how all of that is going…
My experience with cooking for myself for the past few weeks:
- Breakfast has been pretty straightforward: coffee with an apple and/or rice cake (topped with all-natural PB&J) and/or homemade green smoothie. It depends how much work I want to put into my breakfast, to be honest! If I haven’t made the smoothie the day before, realistically it’s probably just not going to happen.
- I haven’t really been doing proper “lunches” and “dinners.” I usually get pretty hungry around 10:30 AM or so, and I’ll generally be in the middle of work right at that point so I’ll eat some cheese or cook up whatever leftovers I have from the day before and eat that.
- Eating out is something I’ve been doing WAY more than I’d like. There are a great sandwich shop and noodle place right around the corner from me, so if I haven’t done any meal planning, then I’ve resorted to getting one of those things for my lunch/dinner meal (which I usually eat mid-afternoon). I’ve been doing that once or twice each week and it’s something I am trying to make more of an effort to not do.
- I’m eating a lot of roasted chicken right now… as in, the pre-roasted chicken you can buy at the store. I’m starting to realize just how busy life really gets when you’re essentially running two businesses (between my usual freelance business plus this blog, in addition to my new freelance coaching business), and honestly it is TOUGH to find the time to walk the 15 minutes to the grocery store, let alone find time to plan out proper meals and do some cooking! Besides that, I just don’t have any interest in cooking lately. So I’ll take what I can get, and pre-roasted chicken is it.
- Pre-washed bags of chopped mixed lettuce is one of my current favorite things. I probably wouldn’t be eating ANY salad if I had to chop it myself. The more that we can reduce barriers to things, the better! I’d far rather get a bag of pre-washed greens and KNOW that I’ll eat them, than waste my money on bunches of greens and miss out on those glorious nutrients because I can’t be bothered to wash and chop them.
- Popcorn and chocolate are my go-to evening snacks. This is another thing I need to make more of an effort to stop doing (or at the very least get higher-quality versions)! Other similar types of snacks have been sneaking into my weekly meals, usually from things like meeting a friend at a local donut shop or grabbing something from a nearby food truck. Not ideal, but it is the reality at the moment.
What is your summer meal plan like? Are you eating a lot of the same types of things, like me? Share in the comments section below!
Get your free green smoothie booklet now >>